NICE Admitted new members on the 16th of December. This is the chairman’s remark:
- We appreciate members for identifying with NICE. The main qualification by our humble assessment is good character “The greatest legacy anyone can leave for posterity”
- We commend members for accepting to serve in this special way, real opportunity for selfless service.
“We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give” – Winston Churchill
“Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile” – Albert Einstein
“Life is an exciting business and most exciting when it is lived for others” – Helen Keller
- Achievements of NICE viewed against the aims and objectives are hardly measurable. Hence the FoodEssence Project with emphasis on behavior as effort at food security is more measurable – Educational and ethical rather than economic. Educational because the people of the world are not getting their priorities right. And it is ethical because available food is not being fairly distributed among the populace.
- Funds – Lots of funds needed to change behavior e.g, Generating time consciousness with Radio/Television jingles. So far, only effort of a few makes the difference. E.g, Executive members’ contribution of N100000 each towards logistics for 2014 Exemplary Conduct Awards.
- Need for New Members for more funds. Each member to introduce new member(s)
- Noteworthy that membership is not so demanding. General meeting every other year to elect Executive etc. Most of the job now restricted to the Executive. But the organization is open to new ideas
“Ideas are imperishable, Leaders may come and go; personalities may live and die but mental and spiritual concepts are immortal. These are the dynamics for changing the course of history and the lives of men and women – Dr. H.H. Hobbes
- Challenge to members as ambassadors of NICE. Task is enormous but not impossible.
- “The greatest discovery of all time is that a person can change his future by merely changing his attitude” – Oprah Winfrey.
- “Better to light a candle than curse the darkness” – Confucius.
- “I alone cannot change the world but I can cast a stone across the waters and create many ripples” Mother Teresa
- “It is nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.
- Everyone has a responsibility –
“All the world cries” “We want a man” Don’t look so far for this man. You have him at hand “It is you; it is ‘I’ it is each one of us”
Let us be guided by the four elements behind every great achievement –
Observation, imagination, commitment and discipline to be viewed in the context of the vision and mission of NICE.
Guided by these tit-bits, as we go forth from this gathering of distinguished personalities, it is hoped that we will all be great ambassadors of NICE and we will by so doing be helping in one way or the other to make the society and the world safer, happier and more peaceful.
Thank you one and all for coming and God bless
Eddy O. Ikponmwen JP, FNIM, FCPM Amb.IML,mni